Friday, March 26, 2010

LAMBING SEASON IS NOW CLOSED!

Lambing season at Drumcliffe Farm has officially come to a close. And with a bit of drama. After I spent most of the night expecting some activity, Olivia finally decided to get down to business about 9AM. She was in labor about 1 hour and delivered a nice strong ram without difficulty. I knew she had multiple lambs to deliver but she seemed more interested in the first born than going back into labor. I was a bit concerned but decided to leave her to her own design. I was to help a friend shear his flock at 11 AM so I gave him a call and told him not to expect me but would try to be there if I could. After the first-born got his fill and she was able to put him down for a nap, Olivia finally got serious about the second labor. Since the first delivery was so quick once she started serious contractions, I figured the second would be the same normal presentation. She went down and began contractions just as with the first. After she stood and I was able to get a closer look, I recognized the second lamb was full breech. The process seemed too far along to reposition the lamb, and there seemed to be some room left for my hand. I was able to alternate tugs and twists and when the moment came, gave the lamb a strong pull. I quickly cleared the airway and tickled his nose with a piece of straw. Another strong lamb, stood early, and after only a bit of my coaching he got his share of mother's colostrum.

So, the season is over. I look forward to a full night's sleep. But honestly, I'm sad its over. Its been a very special time.

No comments:

Post a Comment