Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FRIENDS

Allow me to reflect a bit more on the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival last week-end in Canby. I've been thinking how absolutely impossible it would have been for us to even consider taking part in this festival without the help of dear friends. We showed 8 animals and had a small farm booth to sell some of our wool products. Showing animals means catching them at the farm, loading them into a trailer, unloading them at the fairgrounds, leading them to their stalls in the barn, leading them to the show ring, actually showing the animals, leading them back to the barn, loading them back in the trailer, and finally unloading them back home on the farm. Jacob sheep, being a primitive breed, are not very tame. And I have never found the time to try to halter break them. Thus, moving these sheep can be quite a physical challenge. At one point we had 3 different animals being judged at the same time. This all makes me so thankful for our friends that never seem to hesitate to step forward when we so desperately need them. I can always count on help for sheep shows, shearing, weaning, and vaccinations.

I realize there's an inherent reward when we help others. It feels good and it must be hard-wired in the human social animal to so willingly help those in need. Thank goodness! But I realize now that it feels just as good to ask for help. What a relief it is to set aside that misguided American ethic of self reliance and accept the fact that we are a community. I know many are hesitant to ask for help mistakenly believing its a sign of weakness and a sort of giving in. I can testify that asking for help is just as rewarding as giving help.

I can't thank you all that have helped here at Drumcliffe Farm and have geiven me the opportunity to ask for your help. Your responses and efforts have meant everything to me. And be assured you'll be asked again! - Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment