Saturday, March 13, 2010

NAMING OUR LAMBS

Some have questioned why we name our lambs rather than simply keeping track of them with an ear tag number. We started naming the lambs after friends and neighbors that have helped us out on the farm in some manner. It probably seems pretty personal and we often get the typical response:

"How can you eat lamb if you know their names? As in please pass me another serving of George."

True, I can sense a bit of hesitancy when we let someone know they have a namesake frolicking out in the pasture, or if they actually come to the farm to visit their namesake, or especially if they know that "George" will soon be headed to the butcher. But after that initial pause, what I see is the honest seeking of their own personal connection with reality. In a way, it forces them to define for themselves what it means to be an omnivore. And if that process isn't triggered on its own, I make sure I help it along. It really is a visible sense of recognition that I see. I think it can only be positive when a 21st century grocery store shopper comes face to face with the reality of the farm, and I'm glad to help. I have to admit though that I soften things a bit when I deliver fresh lamb meat to a customer and even if they ask "Is this George?", I'll refuse to tell them.

Speaking of reality, we had a good healthy dose of it this morning. I was about to release a new mother and her twins from the lambing jug and put them in the pasture when I noticed that one of the twins was lethargic. Upon further investigation we discovered that he was born without an anus. Not necessarily common but it happens enough to be fully referenced in the sheep library I've accumulated. Not much option here but to put him down so he wouldn't suffer. He was a strong lamb in his first day or so and nursed normally, so this was a bit of a disappointment. The grandkids insisted on a full ceremony so we selected a nice sunny clearing down in the woodlot across Butterfly Creek.

Danie, one of older ewes suffered pregnancy toxemia last year before delivering triplets. With that in mind, I was keeping a close watch this year. I was able to begin treatments a little earlier this year when she started showing the typical symptoms so I hope this year won't be as traumatic as last years. I predict triplets again. However, even though she is one of our sweetest girls and probably the matriarch of the flock, she'll need to be culled after this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment