Tuesday, March 9, 2010

WE'RE DROPPIN' LAMBS ON THE GROUND

Well, not exactly, but the ewes are, sort of. Our lambing season has kicked into a higher gear and we're being blessed with a great new crop of new-born lambs. The ewes have free access to both a pasture and the barn during lambing. Just as thought I had them figured out and they were choosing the barn to lamb this year, Bella surprised me with choosing a rather sunny little patch of grass under one of our large Doug firs way down at the bottom of the pasture. I had come home from a trip to town, scanned the pasture and noted Melody (our guard llama) standing over one of the ewes prone on the ground, which is a sure sign of birth in progress. I ventured down the hill toward the site and saw that I missed the blessed event by only a few moments. Bella popped up and began to clean the new-born. Melody assisted by nudging the lamb to get it to stand. Bella took turns cleaning the new-born and continuing labor with the next in line. The second was born within only a few minutes. Rather than swoop in and cart all three back to a lambing jug in the barn, I decided to let Nature take its course. I settled down on my own patch of grass in the sun to enjoy the next hour or so. Bella got both lambs cleaned up and with the help of Melody, got both to stand and nurse. Storm clouds were approaching and I thought it time. I slowly approached the new family, after assuring Melody I meant no harm, and began to carry the new lambs up to the barn. It was a bit of a hike carrying two lambs up the hill while hunched over to keep them within clear sight of Bella but she is a good mother and stayed right with me.

Having seen both, I have to admit that lambing in the barn is a bit easier on the shepherd, but in this case, with the warm sun shining, allowing Bella her special time in the pasture was, without a doubt, the best. However, let there be no doubt - all the ewes will be closed into the barnyard each night because I have very little interest in stumbling around the pasture at 3AM looking for that one pregnant ewe who has a sudden urge to be independent and express her love of the great outdoors.


No comments:

Post a Comment